St Vincent and the Grenadines

 St Vincent and the Grenadines

Opioid Substitution Treatment: not available

There are neither opioid substitution treatment centres nor any doctors providing regular methadone or buprenorphine treatments. Though buprenorphine is currently available, preparations used in substitution treatment (e.g. Subutex, Suboxone) are not. A license can be obtained from the Ministry of Health for the importation of methadone or Subutex/Suboxone, if a pharmacy makes such a request. Therefore, if a person is in need of these medication for a time exceeding four weeks, that person will have to visit a physician locally to obtain a prescription and negotiate with a local pharmacy to source the medication. So far, no pharmacy has ever ordered methadone or Subutex/Suboxone. For this reason we do not know whether arranging continued dosing would really work this way.

Importation of Methadone or other Prescribed Narcotics: possible

It is allowed to bring into Saint Vincent and the Grenadines a supply of methadone, buprenorphine, morphine, or other prescribed narcotics for personal use sufficient for up to 30 days. An importation license is not required. However, the medication must be declared to the Customs at entry. Patients must carry with them a letter from their prescribing doctor.


Contact Address:

Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment
Halifax Street
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Phone: +1 784 457 2586 or +1 784 456 111 ext: 511/512
Fax: +1 784 457 2684

Any comments and additional information greatly appreciated.
Please address all correspondence to:

Ralf Gerlach
Bremer Platz 18-20
D-48155 Münster
Phone: +49 251-60123 or +49 2571-582765
Fax: +49 251-666580

(This page last updated January 27, 2015)